VideoMLB's Opening Day
MLB Opening Day presented by Chevrolet
New Orleans MLB Youth Academy to serve as Baseball & Softball "Home Field" for Xavier University of Louisiana beginning in 2021
Baseball To Be Played at the HBCU for First Time Since 1960; Softball Introduced as New Program; As Part of the Partnership, Xavier to Have Full Access to Facilities at Wesley Barrow Stadium in Pontchartrain Park
Reds & Eric Davis calling all kids to signup for youth baseball & softball
Reds.com/Signup created to connect local youth with recreational teams
VideoRemembering Hank Aaron
MLB Network remembers the life and career of legend and Hall of Famer Hank Aaron
VideoPlayers Alliance kicks off tour
The Players Alliance kicked off their 33-city tour where they're handing out baseball and COVID supplies to underserved Black communities
The former MLBer inspiring Black kids through art
Micah Johnson's artwork wants Black children to dream
Major League Baseball's first Urban Youth Academy was founded in 2006 in Compton, California. As a not-for-profit organization, the UYA aims to set the standard for baseball and softball instruction, teach and educate in Urban America, and enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities. Major League Baseball has set out four facets to the Urban Youth Initiative:
• Grow the games of baseball and softball while cultivating diversity in all aspects of the game
• Make meaningful contributions to the development of urban communities
• Provide safe and organized recreational activities for urban youth
• Prepare urban high school players for college and professional baseball and softball programs
Our coaching staff consists of highly experienced baseball and softball personnel. We specialize in fundamental instruction by way of open workouts. Our workouts give members practical and theoretical training on the fundamentals of the game, while our educational component aids students in the classroom. We believe the skills learned in baseball and softball can be applied beyond the field, helping to shape a better community.
- 2006: MLB celebrates the grand opening of the first Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
- 2010: The Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy opens in Sylvester Turner Park in Houston, Tex.
- 2012: A new MLB Youth Academy opens in New Orleans, La. - the first in a non-MLB city.
- 2014: With the help of MLB, the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Washington D.C., and the Cincinnati P&G MLB Youth Academy Cincinnati, Ohio both open
- 2015: The outside field portion of the Philadelphia Phillies MLB Youth Academy officially opens for playing Philadelphia, Pa.
- 2016: The Phillies unveil the indoor portion of their Academy to complete the first two-site MLB Youth Academy. Additionally, MLB, DREAM and New York State announce plans to build a Youth Academy in Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx, N.Y.
- 2017: The soft-opening for both the Kansas City Royals MLB Urban Youth Academy in Kansas City, Mo., and the Texas Rangers MLB Youth Academy in West Dallas, Texas.
- In Progress: Academies are set to open in The Bronx, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and San Francisco, Calif.